Welcome to the cell-biology quiz!
Answer the following questions. When you have finished you may check all the answers with a single click
of the 'Check All Answers!' button at the end of the quiz.
1. Which of the following structures is found in plant cells, but not animal cells?
E. Cell membrane
2. What is the arrangement of microtubules in a typical eukaryotic cilium?
A. (9 x 2) + 2
B. (9 x 1) + 2
C. (9 x 3) + 0
D. (9 x 2) + 0
3. Which of the following is the best description of the function of the organelle shown in figure 1
A. Production of vesicles
B. Storage of glycoproteins
C. Processing and sorting of proteins and glycoproteins
D. Synthesis of cholesterol and other lipids
E. Protein synthesis
If you score less than 90% then you really ought to study
4. Which of the following statements is false?
A. Prokaryote flagella rotate, whilst eukaryotic flagella undulate
B. Prokaryotes possess no nuclear envelope (with few exceptions)
C. Only eukaryotes possess ribosomes
D. Prokaryotes may contain extra-chromosomal genetic elements
E. Prokaryotes typically possess a nucleoid
5. What do we call the copying of DNA into messenger RNA?
6. Which of the following best describes the function of the stalked particles of
A. They transport electrons
B. They are inner membrane proteins
C. They are ATPase enzymes that manufacture ATP
D. They catalyse the TCA cycle
E. They convert oxygen into water
7. What is the structure labelled 'E' in figure 2 below.
C. Membrane protein
8. How many net molecules of ATP are produced by the glycolysis of one molecule of
E. 2 to 8
9. Where precisely in the cell are ribosomes synthesised?
B. Rough endoplasmic reticulum (RER)
10. What is the name and function of structure H in figure 3?
A. A pair of centrosomes, microtubule organising centres
B. The centrosome, a microtubule organising centre
C. Glycogen granules, a glucose store
D. Microtubules, cell support
E. Vesicles, storage and transport of various materials