Drexus (plural Drexi)

Description. The main part of the body is a rod-like cylindrical capsule about one metre (3 feet) long and 30 cm
(12 inches) in width, with rounded ends. This capsule is made of a thick, tough and strong fibrous material and
its outer surface is covered in hairs or sculpted with a lattice of tiny polygonal ridges. Spines up to 60 cm (24
inches) long project at irregular intervals from the capsule. These spines are hollow brittle tubes and may be
loaded with venom (usually a paralysin). From the basal end of the upright capsule emerge typically 4 long
coiled tentacles that may rotate in a writhing motion and function in place of legs, propelling the creature along.
Further up the capsule emerge a number, typically four, of smaller coiled tentacles, which are able to grasp
objects with precision and function as arms and hands. Inside the capsule the anatomy is alien, as it is filled
with slime of variable consistency supported by a network of tubular rods, beams and struts.

Hits:
Capsule (C) 30, Armour Class 4 (equivalent to plate armour)
Larger tentacles (LT) x 4: 10 hits/segment, 1d6+4 segments
Smaller tentacles (ST) x 4: 8 hits/segment, 1d6+3 segments

Hit Locations (d100):
1-12: LT1, 13-24: LT2, 25-36: LT3, 37-48: LT4, 49-60: C,
61-70: ST1, 71-80: ST2, 81-90: ST3, 91-100: ST4

Armour: AC4 (C, ST, LT)

Criticals:
destruction of a tentacle segment does not result in further HP loss due to bleeding. Indeed, tentacles and
spines continually grow back from their bases and so are readily replaced and are 'expendable'. If the capsule
armour is pierced then the slime that oozes out will rapidly congeal, so again no criticals are lost. A capsule
critical requires a further roll on 1d10, a 10 indicates damage to the control centre, 1-9 results in no further
damage. If the control centre is hit then it will be destroyed when critical damage exceeding 10 critical points.
Lesser damage will result in the possibility of a stun, as normal (e.g. 2 points of critical damage will result in a
20% chance of stun, 8 points in 80% chance, etc.). If stunned, or if the control centre is totally destroyed, then
the creature will be out of control as its tentacles rotate and flail aimlessly for 1d10+10 minutes before activity
ceases. The control centre can change its position within the capsule and so cannot be targeted.

Attacks:
The whirling tentacles may club opponents: 70 / 80  1d10 + 3 x 1-4 (C crit + 1, unbalancing),
against any number of targets within 6 metres. They can also grapple opponents on a 1d100 attack roll of 20 or
less. Grappled opponents automatically suffer 1d10 + 1 points of damage per turn until freed.


Drexi have been known to assume human form. In this state they will mix with human populations and attempt to
infect people with their DNA. For example, if someone is sat next to a Drexus in human form, it may extend a
small tubular syringe-like spike into the person (the element of catching its target unaware combined with the
narrowness of the tube and its release of pain-killing substances make it hard for such a person to notice
anything much unusual) and inject DNA into the person. Not enough DNA will transfer to turn one into a Drexus,
but over time the DNA will change mental processes, turning the victim into a Drexus slave.

Drexi feed by sucking the juices out of their food through their spines, whilst immobilising it with their tentacles
and venom. Their diet is broad and varied, but may include human beings.
Drexus